We are 20 games in the 2017-2018 PL seasons and things are looking good for Liverpool. Even though title chances are dangerously slipping away because of Manchester City’s clock-like precision, it is still something to see Klopp finally working his magic.
The defence is working, the midfield is coming together, and the attack is brilliant. Liverpool lost just 2 games this season and are 2nd in the Premier League when it comes to scored goals.
Unfortunately, injuries are a problem as the Anfield side now has reached number 4 in the Premier League’s top injury struck teams.
Klopp will have to handle 6 injured players who are very likely to miss the last game of 2017. To be fair, Liverpool did play over 50 games this year, year that is ending with a very important game against Leicester.
Every statistic seems to be pointing towards a win for Liverpool, except those counting injured players. The score is 2-6 in favor of Leicester who despite having an almost full lot, have not won any of their last 3 games.
Klopp needs to deal with the following injured list:
- Ádám Bogdán – Cruciate Ligament Rupture – this injury has really taken a toll on the Hungarian keeper who has been out of the game for 401 days. That is a lot even for a 30 year old keeper.
- Alberto Moreno – Malleolar injury – been out for 20 days already and has no return date scheduled by the medical staff. He will not be featured against Leicester.
- Jordan Henderson – Hamstring injury – missed 4 games already and is not on the list for the Leicester game. According to the Daily Star, there’s no sure date set for the Liverpool captain.
- Marko Grujic – Broken Finger – was not featured in any important game for Liverpool and will not be on the player list against Leicester.
- Nathaniel Clyne – Back injury – has missed every single match since July – 36 games to be more exact. He passed the 200 day injury mark and is expected to return in February at the earliest.
- Daniel Sturridge – Unknown health problems – apparently Sturridge will not play very soon due to an unknown health problem and due to the high level of competition that does not allow him to make his way in the starting 11 without being 100% recovered.
Claude Puel must handle 2 injuries as follows:
- Robert Huth – Malleolar injury – out since September, the German defender is expected to return in 2018 and not any sooner.
- Matty James – Achilles tendon tare – also out since September. He is expected to return around the same date as Huth so he will definitely not be playing against Liverpool.
Looking at the injury sheet you might say Liverpool are in a slight disadvantage but looking at the way the two clubs are playing, injury aside, Klopp’s side are favorite. We expect them to end 2017 with a bang and with Coutinho, Firmino and Salah shining brighter than ever.